BRING ON THE HEAT!
Makawao Paniolos is looking for the best Chili in town! Think your Chili got what it takes to win? We’re calling all Makawao business owners (retail and restaurants), chefs, cooks and the public to participate in our Chili Cook Off Contest for the Annual Makawao 4th of July parade.
The Makawao 4th of July Parade and Chili Contest will take place on Saturday, July 7th from 9am to 1pm. Drop-off for contestant’s chili begins at 7am in the Maui Hands lot on Makawao Ave. Each participating team will need to pay a $5 entry fee, donate a big pot of chili in some kind of heating pot, or gas burner and provide a ladle/spoon to serve the judges/attendees before the parade starts. All contestant’s chili needs to be served hot and ready for taste testing by 9am.
This year a Cash Prize will be awarded to the first-place winner! Registration is easy, just email Lynne at email@example.com to enter the contest. The deadline to enter your team, business or organization’s chili is July 2nd at 4pm. The chili contest is open to the public for taste testing and contestant’s chili will be rated using a scorecard. Fun prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners that scores the most points for the best tasting chili.
Parade Schedule: Saturday July 7th, 2018
- Face painting at the Library 7:30-9:30
- Polli’s annual parade breakfast 7:00am
- MHM Pancake breakfast at Habibi 7:30-9:00
- Hongwanji annual rummage sale 7:00am
- Stick horse race 8:30am
- Parade starts at 9:00am
Chili Cook-off General Rules: 9am-1pm
- Contest is open to all and anyone can make the chili but Chili must be homemade.
- Entry fee is $5 and only one pot of Chili per team, business, or community organization.
- Setup begins at 7am and located in the Maui Hands lot across from Casanovas. Chili needs to be dropped off before the parade begins, otherwise there will be no entry.
- Chili will be hot and ready to serve the community by 9am. Chili must be prepared off premises. A minimum of 1 large electric roaster, crock pot, rice cooker or portable gas burner and extension cord. At least 7 quarts of chili or more must be provided.
- Cups, spoons, napkins, score cards and trash for sampling will be provided.
- Attendees are the judges and will be admitted for taste testing for $1 or more donation beginning at 9am. Ballot box will be provided for the contest. One taste testing of all contestants chilis per attendee.
- Teams are responsible for heating pot and must bring a spoon for serving, extension cord and a brief description of ingredients of your chili.
- Cash prize for 1st place winner and runner up prizes for 2nd and 3rd place chili.
- Prizes for the chili contest will based on total number of scorecard votes for each contestant’s chili.
- For more information or questions please contact Lynne firstname.lastname@example.org