MMA & MCA is looking for the best Chili in town. We’re calling all cooks and invite all Makawao business owners (retail and restaurants) and community organizations to participate in our Chili Cook Off Contest for the Makawao Annual 4th of July parade. The 4th of July parade is Makawao’s signature and biggest community event of the year that draws in thousands of people to our upcountry town.
This year MMA is working with MCA to offer food vendors and drinks in the Farmer’s Market Lot across from Rodeo General Store. We will have food vendors, a chili booth for the contestants, offer free samples to the public and have a chili ballot box for voters. Friends and family can submit their chili on behalf of any Makawao or upcountry merchants, business or community organizations!
Drop-off for chili begins at 7am. All contestant’s chili will be hot and ready for taste testing at 9am. Basically each participating team will donate a big pot of chili in some kind of heating pot with a spoon to serve before the parade starts.
Think your Chili got what it takes to win? Bring on the heat! Registration is free and easy, just email the contact below to enter the contest. The deadline to enter your team, business or organization’s chili is June 30th at 4pm. Fun prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners that scores the most points for the best tasting chili.
Parade Schedule: Saturday July 1st, 2017
- 7:30am Makawao History Museum Pancake Breakfast
- 8:30am- Baldwin road closes, stick horse race
- 9am- Parade starts
- Free Shuttle service ends at 1pm
- 4th of July Rodeo begins 4pm at Oski Rice Arena
Chili Cookoff General Rules: 9am-1pm
- Contest is open to all and anyone can make the chili but Chili must be homemade.
- Enter only one pot of Chili per team, business, or community organization.
- Setup begins at 7am and located in the Farmer’s Market lot across from Rodeo General. Chili needs to be dropped off before the parade begins, otherwise there will be no entry.
- Chili will be hot and ready to serve the community by 9am. It must be prepared off premises. A minimum of 1 large electric roaster, crock pot, rice cooker or pot with portable burner. At least 7 quarts or more must be provided.
- MMA is responsible for providing 2-3 oz plastic cups, spoons, napkins and trash for sampling.
- Attendees are the judges and will be admitted for taste testing beginning at 9am. MMA will provide a ballot box and one taste testing per attendee.
- Teams are responsible for heating pot and must bring a spoon for serving, extension cord and a brief description of ingredients of your chili.
- Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place chili.
- Prizes for the chili will based on number of attendee’s/judges scorecard votes.
- For more information or questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org